We ubered to Port Everglades 2 hours prior to our official checkin time. Cost of uber was $5 and we tipped the driver another $5 because he complained about sitting in port traffic and could have been out driving. I am sure that was his tactic and we fell right into it. Suckers!!!!
The security at the port is very tight. It is like crossing into a U.S border. There are cops and security guards everywhere.
Pre-Cruise tips and recommendations below:
- If you need to fly into Fort Lauderdale, fly in the night before. There have been incidents where people’s flights were delayed and they ended up missing the cruise and had to find another way to catch up with the cruise at the next port. Who wants to start a vacation with that kind of stress?
- Do go to the port early. It is crowded and chaotic there.
- Do bring some small changes to tip the luggage people. The included prepaid tip on the ship has nothing to do with these luggage crew. Our luggages were brought on board very quickly after we had checked in. Not sure why some online posts say it might take all day for the luggage to deliver to the room. Maybe for another cruise but it wasn’t the case here for us.
- They are NOT as strict with checking liquor brought on board as they claim to be. Each room is allowed 2 bottles of champagne or wine. We bought 2 bottles of wine and a creamy expresso macchiato liquor bottle. We were told that liquor isn’t allowed and could be confiscated. Well, we decided to take our chances on the liquor bottle. I hid it in my checked in luggage and guess what, it was still in my luggage when it was delivered. Yay! No need to use Listerine bottle and food coloring to hide any liquor. No one inspected how many bottles of wine we had carried with us either when we went through the security line boarding the ship. I think we each could have brought on 2 bottle of wines and would still be okay. In any case, I would not recommend to abuse this laid back system though. We probably were just lucky.
- Do make reservations to shows and dinner ahead. Ahead means as soon as you book your cruise, start picking out shows and make reservations to the 2 formal dinners as soon as possible. It was quite a task to try to book/schedule all the shows around dinner time. All shows were sold out quite quickly.
- We booked our excursions ahead as well. People had said it’s cheaper to book excursions on the islands with the locals but we chose not to have to worry about that as our time on the island is limited.