We decided to travel to Fort Lauderdale the day before our cruise to protect ourselves from any flight delays or cancelations. We stayed at the Embassy Suites by Hilton not only because it is close to Port Everglades but also within walking distance to all the restaurants and shops.
Uber transferred us from airport to hotel at a reasonable $7. Taxi and airport shuttles were too costly options we didn’t consider.
Overall, the hotel was sufficient . However, I would probably not return for various reasons below.
- Steep price. I honestly think $220/night is outrageous. We did get a living room with a desk and a couch but that was a useless space for us.
- The front desk person was rude. We had requested for an ocean facing room at the time of booking (which was about a month prior) and were told that we would get the room. Showed up and got a pool facing view. When we tried to explain to the front desk person about our request, she told us nothing else was available in a sarcastic voice. Found out I would not be able to get the Hilton Honors points for this stay and would also have to pay for wifi since we booked via Expedia. The point is that the front desk person made me feel like booking via Expedia was a mistake and I could sense her unwelcoming attitude.
- Noise. I could hear my neighbors talking on the balcony and could feel the door slamming shut every few mins.
- Close to Port Everglades for cruise departing.
- Walking distance to restaurants and shops. We walked to the wine store and stocked up for the cruise.
- Happy hour with free drinks and light snacks.
- Former First Lady Hillary Clinton was at the hotel for a campaigning event.
- Free continental breakfast.